Wednesday 18 September 2013

Part One: Emily's Story


As I was not aware of what was going on while I was in hospital, my younger sister will share her insight into the day leading up to the operation and the day of. You can check out her blog at

I never thought it would be my sister. I never thought it would be my family. Never thought it would be our issue. I never thought it would happen. 

The day was a blur. The whole summer was a blur. I'm going to rewind a little so you could understand all going on from a different perspective. 
I remember clearly the day I found out it was a "brain tumour" that MY sister had. The words didn't sound right. They made me feel uncomfortable and like it wasn't real. But it was. There were people at our house and I remember our older sister Verity picking up the 'phonecall' that would give us the news. She called our brother Nathanael and I into the office and slowly told us the news. I remember not moving, like my brain had to stop to digest that information. I never knew someone with a brain tumour or what the procedure was. So everything that was about to happen in the next few days were new. 
I cried. Shocked at this news. I cried more when Verity relayed more information.
 "She has to stay over night, and surgery will be tomorrow". 
We prayed, that was the only thing we could do in this situation, a situation that occurs in movies nothing I experienced in real life. 
We went to the hospital that night. It was the first time I went in to a hospital to see someone (let alone my sister). I will be honest I was scared! It was a different place, as people were there because they were sick. And it didn't seem right for our family to be walking in there.

As I first walked in it felt different, as we went up to the tenth floor to see her you had to walk past other patients and that made me sad to see so many other people and so many family members all waiting beside their beds. Did they have a hope? Did they know that Jesus is a comforter? As we walked down the ward there she was. My sister, the girl I shared a room with my whole life (and still do!) My closest friend lying in a hospital bed waiting for surgery?! 

Anyone who knows our family knows we are very close and ALWAYS have fun. So of course, in true Martin family tradition we had a ball! We laughed, we cried, we joked, we prayed, we sang, we cried some more and laughed a little more. We made Nay feel at home, made her feel comfortable. As you all know from reading Nay's other posts you know that she did not have surgery the day after.


Once we found out surgery was postponed our daily routine for roughly 2 weeks was our trip to the hospital! As you read earlier when I first walked in to the hospital I was scared, but strangely after weeks of going in it was like our second home! We didn't want it that way but I knew were every vending machine, kiosk and elevator in that place! I knew how to get to the car park the route there was memorised I knew how long it would take, it became second nature. 
I started my last (and most important year) of secondary school the day before the BIG day. I remember how my tutor welcomed me in with a huge smile on her face asking how my summer was and I hesitantly handed her a note from my parents letting her know what was going on. Her face dropped she was shocked. She quickly comforted me making sure I was alright and emailed all my teachers letting them know that I might not be able to complete work or be in school due to other 'circumstances'.
All the students knew and they were shocked. They kept saying how "unfair it is as you are such an amazing family' and "bad things happen to good people". They were always making sure I was 'ok' and that it was ok to cry as I must be a wreck. But you know what? I was at such peace. Others were probably more worried than I as I knew God was her helper and is our peace, so I was fine holding onto what God says.

No comments:

Post a Comment